Apply your sunblock and enjoy the sunshine! The weather is getting warmer, and now you need a summer snack to satisfy your craving. Check out these four easy recipes for a wonderful treat to make your summer day sweeter.
Summer Mint Limeade
by Dewey Lightcap
Yields 2 12-oz servings
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp agave nectar
- 4 sprigs fresh mint (about ½ tbsp packed)
- 3 cups water
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend on highest speed for 60-90 seconds.
- Serve over ice. For best results, pour through a tea strainer when serving and garnish with lime wheel and/or sprig of mint.
Calories 36; Total Fat 0g; Saturated Fat 0g; Sodium 15mg; Carbs 10g; Sugars 8g; Fiber 0g; Protein 0g
Jerk Chicken Salad
by Adriana Fernandez
Yields 5 servings
- 4 chicken breasts or 6 chicken thighs
- 4 tablespoons of jerk seasoning
- 2 tablespoons of garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons of cumin
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of mayonnaise
- Add chicken to a large Ziploc bag or reusable container. Coat with jerk seasoning, garlic powder, cumin, and olive oil.
- Optional: leave overnight or for 4-8 hours to marinate.
- Once seasonings are combined/marinated, cook chicken parts on the grill or on the stovetop on medium heat with a semi-deep pan.
- Once cooked thoroughly (about 25-30 minutes), take off medium heat and allow to cool.
- Chop/shred chicken into bowl. Combine chopped/shredded chicken with mayonnaise and mix.
- Enjoy on toast, in a sandwich, with crackers, however you like!
Calories 283; Total Fat 14.3g; Saturated Fat 2.2g; Sodium 856.3mg; Carbs 5.6g; Sugars 0.5g; Fiber 0.7g; Protein 29.5g
Strawberry & Honey Greek Yogurt Bark
by Nate Widom
Yields 5 servings (about 3 pieces/serving)
Ingredients For Yogurt Mix
- 1 large container of full-fat plain
- Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- ¼ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ½ tablespoon of strawberry syrup
Ingredients For Toppings
- 3 large fresh strawberries
- 1 teaspoon of strawberry syrup to drizzle
- Line a 9 x 9 in baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the yogurt, honey, strawberry syrup, and vanilla extract together.
- Cover baking sheet with the whisked yogurt mixture ¼ inch thick. You may want to use a spatula for help!
- Chop the strawberries into thin slices and top them over the mixture. Next, drizzle the strawberry syrup for decoration.
- Cover the baking sheet with saran wrap and place it in the freezer for a few hours or overnight. Once it’s frozen, you now have a delicious summer treat!
Calories 155; Total Fat 5.1g; Saturated Fat 3.2g; Sodium 36.8mg; Carbs 15g; Sugars 12.2g; Fiber 1.2g; Protein 10.1g
Mango Pineapple Sorbet
by Sasha Reddy
Yields 10 servings
- 4 ripe mangoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 20oz can pineapple chunks
- ¾ cup sugar, or substitute equal parts maple syrup
- 3 tbsp clear rum (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until well-mixed.
- Add ingredients to an ice cream maker and churn according to appliance instructions. If you don’t have an ice cream maker, skip this step.
- Pour mixture into freezer-safe container, freeze for 2-3 hours, and enjoy!
Note: Churning the ice cream and adding rum helps make the sorbet easier to scoop. If you’re not churning or adding alcohol, plan to leave a few extra minutes for the sorbet to thaw before serving.
Calories 121; Total Fat 0.2g; Saturated Fat 0g; Sodium 5.7mg; Carbs 29.2g; Sugars 22.3g; Fiber 1.1g; Protein 0.3g