by Adriana Fernandez
Makes 5 servings
- 1 tablespoon sofrito*
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons curry powder (green colored)
- 1 cup dry brown lentils
- 2 1/2 cups of water (or chicken stock)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- Salt to taste
- Prep medium size pot on stove, set for medium-high heat.
- Put olive oil and sofrito in pot, cook for 2-3 minutes (until fragrant).
- Add curry powder and cook for another 2-4 minutes (consistency should be a thick, clumpy paste).
- Add in lentils and spices, mix well and add chicken bouillon cube.
- Add 2 cups water/chicken stock, cover and let cook for 25-30 minutes (until water has completely cooked into lentils).
- Taste test to ensure lentils are soft, add 1/2 cup water if still hard and cook, covered, until incorporated.
- After lentils have cooked until soft, turn off heat and add an additional 1/2 cup of water to create a sauce texture of the lentils.
- Allow to cook and serve over rice.
Calories 422; Total Fat 7.2g; Saturated Fat 0.9g; Sodium 349mg; Carbs 73.7g; Sugars 1.2g;
Fiber 6.6g; Protein 14.9g
*Sofrito consists of sautéed onions, peppers, tomatoes, and other ingredients and is used as a base for various Spanish dishes. It can be store-bought or made at home.